Monday, January 31, 2011

Rustoleum Fumes are GROOD! - Day Three


I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a day that is just 50 degrees to work on Grumbledor, he came to me with lots of rust and all the chemicals to treat him require non winter weather.

So you can imagine my glee when I woke on Sunday to nearly 65 sunshine and a whole day off work! Grumble door was happy too.

After I finished bleaching the mold off every surface inside the beast, I put down some truck bed liner on the floor of the cab and the door jams. It looks real nice now. This will seal all leaks in the floor, give a small amount of insulation to temp and road noise and it looks swell. I took precaution to tape over the things I didn't want sealed... like the wiring and the bolts to the engine which shares the cab with me.

I also Armoralled the vinyl on the dash, so its as shiny as a sport's car dash. "Putting lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.




With the truck bed liner down in the cab, I'll probably put the original mats back in, hell, I might spray them with the stuff as well, I really like the finish on them. It looks so... rugged.


Then I moved to the back with another can of chemicals. I had previously treated the rust with a clear coat that is supposed to "stop" rust, but I ran out of spray before I could treat the entire back. Once I got back there, I realized just how much exposed metal needed to be covered.

So I got this white stuff and finished about 90%, it looks 90% better too. I'll need to get one more can to finish the back and bumper, although I quite like how shitty it looks from the back.

The fumes were lovely, today I have a great sinus infection from a cold that's been coming at me like a storm from the west, I'm sure the fumes from yesterday didn't help, but it was a grand day.

Here's a before:




I very much like making trips to the various hardware stores down the road, getting ideas, getting input.... everyone has another idea and something to say about how the restoration should be done. Some are really good, and some are ideas I have already ruled out. But all are good input to process. I take them all, look at them while I lay in bed scheming, and by morning I've come up with a plan for the next step:

The next step: Flooring / Registration legal stuff / Insulation... Insulation Adventore!


No comments:

Post a Comment